Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Mystery Meatballs

The power of marketing can turn just about anything into something delectable. That's a fact. I think that's how Jollibee managed to hike up interest in their newest budget meal. Their 39ers have always had its set of supporters because it's both filling and inexpensive. However, while I find nothing particularly wrong with their latest offering, there's just a question that begs to be answered.



Jollibee, who I think is the biggest fastfood chain in the country, is now offering Sweet and Sour meatballs in their menu. I've tried it a few times and it's pretty A-OK to me, outside of the question: why are the meatballs black? That's not a racist question, I am merely referring to the meat on the inside. Is it pork, is it beef, is it alien meat, or something entirely different is something I couldn't tell.


Jollibee Sweet and Sour Meatballs and Watermelon Sprite Float

The meatballs themselves don't really have any defining sense of taste, prolly because the sweet and sour sauce [which is identical to the sauce they use for their lumpiang shanghai] is all over. It works for what it's intended for, the budget meal that can fill you up without forking over too much dough. I just couldn't figure out why the meat is black inside.